Monday 14 March 2011

Tribute of Linda Konayuma

by Kenneth Konayuma

The late Linda, born on 15th March 1971 at UTH in Lusaka, was a very special person to me and the entire Konayuma family. I remember her for many things among them: the time we used to go to school together at Northmead Primary School and Kabulonga Girls High School while I was at Kabulonga Boys High School.


Linda at Skianze Camp, Lusaka (1972)


She was a shy kind of person but she could always make me and others laugh and was always full of jokes and was very funny. She was one person who could wake me up very early to do household chores. She was able to advise me where I went wrong and could even rebuke me where I did it  deliberately. She was very good at sweeping the house, doing laundry, cooking, baking especially bread (while my twin sister Catherine was good, and still is at baking cakes) with my late mother. She was also a keen at watching movies on TV. Linda enjoyed visiting her friends and was also a person who took her studies seriously. I remember she used to coach me in Mathematics when I was in grade nine. She liked listening to music in particular pop music and gospel music of various kinds. Linda was an avid reader of books who seemed to compete with Gabriel, our first born, in reading the many books that our late dad would buy every month.


Linda on the right with Catherine and Kenneth in Emmasdale in 1975


Linda like our last born Tendai went to different primary schools and secondary schools. She did primary school in Monze. Lusaka Girls Primary School and Northmead Primary School. She did secondary school at Chipembi Girls Secondary School and Kabulonga Girls Secondary School.

She was a lovely sister, very caring and focused in her education, work and career. When she could not proceed with her degree studies at University of Zambia, she found some work to do at San Francisco Project in Emmasdale, a job that enabled her later to visit United States. It appears this visit gave her self-confidence when she returned to Zambia and was able to get new jobs and train others in computer skills. 


Standing: Linda, Kenneth, Josiah, Catherine, Gabriel 
Seated: Betty with Tendai in arms in Emmasdale in 1975

Tears may dry, since Linda died on 17 February 2005, but the memories are very fresh and a living legend to the Konayuma family and all those who loved her and those who did not understand her.


Kenneth Konayuma
12 June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment